Comforting, hearty, and filling: those are just three words to describe an ideal autumn soup. If you agree, you’re sure to love this Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup from blogger Ali of Gimme Some Oven. It combines a handful of nutritious ingredients, like kale, mushrooms, and sweet potatoes, with rich stock and coconut milk for a decadent, yet light, lunch or dinner. Try it tonight!
• 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
• 1 cup uncooked wild rice
• 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 medium carrots, diced
• 2 ribs celery, diced
• 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
• 1 (14-ounce) can of unsweetened coconut milk
• 2 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed
• Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add in the vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, carrots, celery, sweet potato, bay leaf, and Old Bay seasoning. Stir to combine.
3. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally.
4. Add the coconut milk and kale to the soup and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper (plus any extra Old Bay seasoning, if you would like) as needed.
Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of Sonoma Palms Apartments in Las Cruces, New Mexico.